Auto ISO with flash in the newer nikons; any idea?

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,416Gear list
Like?
Re: Auto ISO with flash in the newer nikons; any idea?
In reply to Derma pro, Mar 2, 2013

I hate it too. The reason most of us hate it is simple. You use to be able to set manual (full control of DoF and shutter) with Auto-ISO on, and shoot with flash. If there wasn't enough light the ISO was raised. Auto-ISO was just insurance - a kind of auto mode in manual where only the ISO could vary and only if necessary.

I'm not aware of any way to do that with the modern cameras. I've heard people suggest rasing FEC and lowering EC by the same amount may cause the auto ISO to trigger less agressively. You could also try manually setting the flash power (in the case of the SB-400 try full). But these are kludges.

Like the apeture ring and focusing screen this kind of automatic shooting seems to have been ripped away from us. Sad thing is this one would probably only require a new menu setting and a little testing to allow user control...but what are the odds of seeing it.

Just as well I'll hopefully have my "old" D90 cameras for a while. They are things of beauty.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow