Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?
A note on WHY this works
In reply to Jimmy K., Mar 2, 2013

Jimmy K. wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

draacor wrote:

What do you guys think of this? Thank you all for your comments. I do think I almost prefer the HDR it gives it a little more punch, however reading your comments i never would have gone back to the originals and play with it some more and i think that it helps in the learning process to try different methods. This time i uploaded the photo to a gallery so that the exif data can be intact.

MUCH BETTER!!!!

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

+1. I like this version better than original non-HDR and HDR versions.

The reason it works is that you don't expect to see zero shadow or zero low light in a sunset. Your eyes do not adapt so quickly from bright sunset to dark ground and back that you remember every little detail in the ground. You might have some trouble seeing the grass but if you look hard enough you do see some detail. That is just how this picture is. The light isn't flat - not every detail is visible - there are shadows. Our eyes adapt looking back and forth to give us a lot more DR than a camera but they certainly do not flatten the light so everything is just as visible. I think that's what a lot of people miss when they first try HDR - they're trapped by the "OH COOOL!!!! I can see every detail!" even though they have ruined the gradations of light and dark within the image, and completely ignored how the human eye works.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow