Luv my Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II lens EXCEPT for starscapes

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,653Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe we could agree to disagree
In reply to Schwany, Mar 2, 2013

Schwany wrote:

It's not a good lens for this task wide open. Personally, I would not use it wide open in the starry night sky scenario. That may be because I like to be contrary, or because I know it's a bad idea with this lens. I don't think stopping it down would solve the issues this lens has at the edges of a full frame, but it might improve the odds for a better capture.

Why do you think stopping down wouldn't help? The very first post in this thread shows coma decreases when stopping down to f/2.0, and vanishes completely by f/2.8.

I've shot some auroras with the 24L/1.4 and later 24L/1.4 II, mostly stopped down to f/1.8. While the results are not perfect, they've been quite acceptable even up to 150 cm x 100 cm print size. Nobody except techie nerds ever took any notice of the slightly mangled stars in the corners because they were too busy at oohing and aahing at the aurora.

Kind regards,
- Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow