D300s vs D7100 - is it about spec or is it about handling?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,510Gear list
Like?
Re: D300s vs D7100 - is it about spec or is it about handling?
In reply to Enthusiast Photographer, Mar 2, 2013

Thanks for all of your kind words!  To follow up perhaps it is too early to decide about the D7100.  Like I said in my original post, I am a bit gear-head, but when I pick up the D300 I just don't see myself going down to the D7100,  In a Perfect world I figure I would probably pick up 2 stops in DR and high ISO noise, maybe one stop.  So as I thought about it, there has been one lens I have always wanted to try.  Being everyone thinks the Tammy 200-500 doesn't have very fast AF and I have gotten so much out of it, I decided to pick my stop up in the lens!  I've been watching KEH for a bargain grade 300 f4 (non-afs) for a long time.  As timing had it a friend wanted to buy my D90.  D90 sold, 300 F4 will be here on Tuesday.  Being the bargain hunter that I am, I have lurked around on ebay for the past month and managed to steal a Tamron 1.4x pro and a Kenko 300 2x pro (DG) for $50 each shipped.  I'm thinking I will love the 300 F4 with the 1.4x so I am only loosing 80mm FOV but I think I can make up for that in sharpness and hopefully be able to shoot wide open at F5.6 with less PP.  So to answer the original question,  for me it is about handling.  I will be having a blast with my D300 all summer shooting Osprey again.  Down the road if the D7100 is better than billed, I should have a lens that will stand up to the higher resolution.  So back to the old adage,   Invest in glass first!  Time will tell...

-- hide signature --

My sober voyage into bird photography
http://www.facebook.com/KristoferRowePhotography

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow