Who's "photo" is it?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
domina
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Who's "photo" is it?
In reply to Draek, Mar 2, 2013

I'm not a legal expert and I don't give legal advice but I've read some Wikipedia articles and this is my understanding: The image creator owns the image and you need a license from them to do something with it. Sometimes you may use an unlicensed image under the legal concept of "fair use" or as parody in some countries (e.g. the U.S.), but I'm not sure what "fair use" is in practice.

The screenshot itself is your creation but it displays other people's work (the webcam image and the software output e.g. the scrollbars the buttons the menus etc), and I'm not sure whether screenshots gain copyright protection.

You may have luck if you send the webcam operator an email and ask for a Creative Commons license to their feed, or tell them what you want to do with it and persuade them to agree.

-- hide signature --

"Nobody is allowed to photograph me in the street or draw me in a painting or photograph my home, unless I give my permission.
"No one is allowed to miss to photograph a decisive artistic moment or whatever attracts their interest and deliver these images to society, even when such images are made against the wishes of the depicted person or property owner."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow