Purple flare: Causes and remedies

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,289Gear list
Like?
Re: Purple flare: Causes and remedies
In reply to Anders W, Mar 1, 2013

Here is another set of examples using the linear polarizer. While producing them, I also took the opportunity to verify that, as expected, a circular polarizer has no impact at all.

As you can see, I have in this case directed the camera directly at a prominent light source in the form of a spotlight in my living room. Again, the first shot shows what things look like without a filter. As you can see, there are rather prominent streaks of purple horizontally and vertically but not diagonally. If I recall correctly, it was Timur Born who first noted this peculiarity, and it is conceivable that this particular pattern provides a clue with regard to the ultimate cause of the purple disease.

Image two and three are both shot with the polarizer and as you can see, it is possible to eliminate the purple vertically or horizontally but not both simultaneously since the vertical streak is polarized in a different way than the horizontal. This is one reason why I told MAubrey not to be too optimistic about using the polarizer as a panacea. In the first series of shots, the polarizer pretty much eliminated all of the purpleness but, as shown here, it may not do so under less benign circumstances.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow