Tamron 24-70mm VC focusing issues...

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
barba
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron 24-70mm VC focusing issues...
In reply to Darren LB, Mar 1, 2013

Darren LB wrote:

I desperately wanted this lens when I came across it. I read dozens of reviews from sources that have served me well in the past like photozone:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/742-tamron2470f28eosapsc

Camera Labs: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Tamron_SP_24-70mm_f2-8_Di_VC_USD/

and many others. You've all seen the reviews I'm sure. I'm definitely not a third party hater or a Canon fan boy. I have had two Sigma lenses and a Tamron in the past that I'm very satisfied with. If anything I seek them out. When I saw the specs and reviews on this lens I had to have it. I currently use a Canon Rebel T4i but may upgrade to full frame and shoot a lot of video so this is really the only lens that will serve me for years to come.

I had two copies that just would not autofocus properly. I've never experienced anything like it. I had one copy for a week and at 70mm it was soft and mushy. I would set up a bottle with a label five feet away, set the camera on a table or tripod but it COULD NOT take a sharp picture. With my Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 it was sharp every time, you could read every word on the label. With live view, using the screen the Tamron was also sharp, both with autofocus or manual focus, the image was sharp and you could read every word.

I got a second copy at my local camera store and it was virtually the same. The Sigma lens as well as my Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake and Canon 50mm f/1.8 are tack sharp on my body but I know it's not my body because I tried the second Tamron on a 5D Mk III a 6D and a 60d and it was the same soft result on all of them.

I'm just baffled. Just reading this forum there are obviously good copies out there ... and bad ones. I honestly thought that a lot of the complaints about third party copy variations and quality control were vastly overblown but this experience has left me confused and frustrated. I might try to seek out another copy but there are only so many times you can watch a $1300 lens fail miserably.

I presume you turned VC of when on a tripod? Else it might have been because of that.

barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow