70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,021
Like?
Re: 70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?
In reply to Alastair Norcross, Mar 1, 2013

Alastair Norcross wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

As the 7d outdid the D300, Canon will try to outdo the D7100. And within 100$ of it. Count on it.

It all depends on what you mean by 'outdid'. The 7D didn't 'outdo' the D300 on anything but pixel count. In fact in most ways it was behind, but it sold much better. Looks like we're going to see the same with the D600 and 6D. My best bet is that we'll see something very close to the current 7D, updated and upgraded but not so much, 3.2" LCD, maybe new version of 45 point AF, but at the D7100 price point, and it will probably sell better than the D7100. Probably no 70D, for the reasons you say.

-- hide signature --

Bob

I've seen you make this claim many times now. I'm puzzled. Did you have a bad experience with a 7D? I can't understand why you insist on making such an obviously false claim as this over and over again.

Because it isn't a false claim. That the 7D outdoes the D300 in anything but the sensor is the false claim.

The D300 is a fine camera, but the 7D is better in every respect, except number of AF points, and there's no evidence that it actually performs any better as a result of having more points.

Let's see how the 7D is 'better in every respect'.

AF - so your thesis is that Canon's 19 point second tier (to the then top tier 45 point system) is better than Nikon's top tier system. No, it isn't. Nikon's 51 point system (D3 gen) and Canon's 45 point system (1DIV gen) are just about functional equals, Canon quicker to lock on, Nikon better tracking, by most comparative tests, including Rob Galbraith's extraordinarily thorough ones. So, in the end what you're suggesting is that the 7D's 19 point system is as good or better than the 1D system. It isn't. The points are not true cross points and there are big gaps in the array.

Speed - well, they are both 8FPS cameras, no win there.

VF - much of a muchness. Almost identical size.

Construction - theoretical win for the D300, it has a metal chassis versus the 7D's plastic one. How much difference that makes in practice, I don't know but it seems to be an appreciated 'pro' feature.

Controls - D300 has full top tier control layout as the D3, 7D has second tier control layout, not 1D.

So, maybe you can propose how the 7D is 'better in every respect', if you want to press your case about 'false claims'.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow