Is the SX50 only good for photographing birds in trees?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
RoyAmatore
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
Antibirdism
In reply to saycheese, Mar 1, 2013

saycheese wrote:

It is starting to look that way, birds and the moon. What else can it do?

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

Hello saycheese.  You are not the first person to gripe about the prevelance of bird photo's on this forum.  In fact, I have detected a virulent strain of antibirdism on the forum since I first starting posting here a few years ago.  I have tried to understand why anyone would object to a beautiful bird photo being posted on this forum, especially since viewing these avian posts is in no way compulsory.  But that being said, I would like to offer an explanation of why birds predominate in the SX30/40/50 posts.

The first reason is that these SX cameras are clearly designed for long telephoto shooting.  The lens seems to be its sharpest at full zoom and the incredible image stabilizaion makes possible with a $400 camera what was once only possible with a setup that costs many thousands of dollars more and is brutally heavy.  I have taken a lot of bird pics with my old Nikon F5 and Tokina 400mm lens, with a tripod, and was never able to acheive the results in terms of sharpness and filling the frame with the subject as I have been able to get with the SX40.

Thus, the ability to do bird photograqphy with these SX cameras represents a new and exciting development in nature photography. All of the other images that you long to see posted, such as landscapes and sports action shots, were all possible before the SX30 was introduced, and may be captured today far better by cameras like the Canon G series, for example, or an inexpensive DSLR.   Bird images, however, were not possible in the recent past with any compact camera, and really could only be accomplished well with an expensive and heavy DSLR or SLR outfit.

The second reason I think this forum in particular attracts bird photographers is the clarion example set by the great Kenn Threed.  One cannot view his bird photos with anything less that shock and awe that such art is possible with a cheap plastic compact camera--and without a tripod!  When I first saw Kenn's pics here I said to myself, "that's what I want to do."

I know not everyone is interest in my photography and some have no interest in bird photography at all, but I will never be embarrassed by posting a picture such as the one below on this forum.  In fact, I still can hardly believe that such a thing is possible.

-- hide signature --

Roy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow