Disappointed with my 24-70 II.

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,353Gear list
Like?
I am not sure of the relevance of your question.
In reply to meland, Mar 1, 2013

meland wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

Acquired my new lens on Thursday.

I have been shooting it back to back with my 24-105 (purchased in Feb. of 2012) and I just don't see a real difference.

Perhaps slightly sharper and slightly better contrast but nothing that would put a big smile on your face. Nothing that changes my overall impression or enjoyment of the image.

Perhaps I have a bad copy of the 24-70 or an exceptionally good copy of the 24-105 (or some combination therein).

I will go out again but I know that I have already decided to return it.

A nice lens but the extra stop is not worth the loss of range and IS (not to mention $2,300 when a good filter is included).

Disappointed as I was really looking forward to using it and enjoying an appreciable jump in IQ.

PS - All images viewed on a calibrated Eizo ColorEdge.

May I ask do you have any lenses that do give you the results you were expecting with your 24-70/2.8 II ?

I was expecting the IQ of the 24-70 to be demonstrably better than that of my 24-105. The copy I have does not provide that result.  It is a comparable image.

The relative IQ as afforded by other lenses does not really figure into the equation (to my way of thinking).

I could say though that the IQ is not on par with the 70-200 2.8 or the 50 1.2 but I did not buy the 24-70 to displace those lenses.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThisNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow