Justification for choosing a superzoom.

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: Justification for choosing a superzoom.
In reply to cashewNut, Mar 1, 2013

cashewNut wrote:

According to Ken Rockwell, the Nikon 18-200mm lens is a life changer and he threw away all his lenses. He uses 12-24mm additional lens. The Sigma 18-250 is sharp from 18-25mm and 85-250mm so why carry two lenses? How sharp is sharp? The Nikon 55-200mm suffers from slow focusing and vignetting but cheaper. The Nikon 55-300 mm is worse than the Sigma 18-250mm lens. It also suffers from slow focus; very soft results at telephoto; extreme distortion across the range, vignetting and image stabilization not effective. the Nikon 18-55mm is sub-standard and is okay but not stellar in image quality. So maybe just get what Ken Rockwell got and change my life too.

If you read his site (which I don't recommend) you'll also see that he says he only runs around with a 35mm f/1.8 on his camera, too. Ken says a lot of whacky and contradictory crap on his site, and beyond straight technical information, he's pretty worthless IMHO (and damaging for a lot of novice photographers).

That said, I have the 18-200 and I love it. When I was traveling around Europe this summer, it was my walk-around lens. When I could only take two of my five lenses out, it was usually one of them (the other was invariably either the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or more often my 35 f/1.8).

It isn't the lightest lens. It is pricey. It isn't as sharp as some of the zooms with narrower range. But it isn't a poor lens at all if you're not pixel-peeping etc. and it is hard to beat as a travel lens with terrific convenience. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Sigma - their quality and sample variation seem... variable...

My $0.02.

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow