What makes "Decisive Instant" such an iconic image ?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
PhD4
Senior MemberPosts: 3,616
Like?
Re: There was nothing extraordinary about Bresson
In reply to drh681, Mar 1, 2013

drh681 wrote:

If that was great photography, then I ve a treasure in my closet left by my grandfather too.

Age does not increase the quality of photography. It only provides age.

Absolutely.

Too many times people refer to "great" art, or "great photography" when what they were were nothing more than great (and often lucky) timing, resulting in poorly exposed, out of focus shots... of a very important, or very memorable moment.

These "iconic" photos... are just that.  Photos.  Snapshots.  Memorable, and legendary. Great timing, or even lucky timing... But not great "photography".

These are good examples (some of the better ones):

Insert caption here. If you do not edit this text it will be automatically removed.

Insert caption here. If you do not edit this text it will be automatically removed.

Bresson later went beyond "street" and his compositions and post production are what made his good stuff good.

But I saw a documentary about Jay Maisel, and he just walks around NY snapping photos of people. I don't get it.  Maybe some people like that, but all you're doing is recording a moment of time in someone else's life... not even your own.  But it's certainly not art. And it's a tad creepy.

It's like taking a picture of a beautiful flower and saying "Look at the picture I created!"

Minus the "beautiful".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow