Started Feb 28, 2013 | Questions thread
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,443
Like?
Re: External display
In reply to farenlina, Mar 1, 2013

farenlina wrote:

Mac uses a Displayport, does it not?

Yes it does and I have a Displayport to DVI converter I’m going to use.

Mac monitors and laptops are standard sRGB gamut more or less.

So because of that you suggest I don’t get the monitor with wider color gamut? Cause this won't work with my laptops screen?

No, I was just pointing out the color space you have been working in up to now.

Imho, wide gamut monitors are not for everyone. I don't know enough about the Apple OS to comprehend just how well it inherently handles color management issues. Some of what I have read sounds great. I do know that in the Windows OS, even with the latest Win8 there are hurdles that most casual hobbyist photographers may not be able to get past.

If you send your images out to an offsite commercial printer or you edit only for the web or you only shoot black & white, or you don't use any color managed software for viewing or editing, a wide gamut monitor may provide less of a benefit and more of a detriment to your hobby.

Considering I read somewhere that people suggested everyone serious using an external monitor to calibrate it, maybe the U2412M is a good choice cause then I can afford like a Spyder4Expres aswell.

Perhaps a lot of those comments came from conversations involving a Windows laptop using 6bit color depth "TN" matrix LCD screens. A bad combination for serious editing where you're trying to get the colors right.

PS.... the Spyder4 Express sucks.  Get the Pro at least.  For one thing the Pro will show you in one screen early on (using Advanced mode I think) what the monitor white luminance level is.  The Elite has a dedicated module for setting monitor brightness.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4express/

Click on the product comparison tab.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow