Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371Gear list
Like?
Re: 13x19, 17x22 ready fit framing options
In reply to smertz, Mar 1, 2013

Thanks for the advice.

I see we mostly agree about cropping.

I'm still trying to work out the best border size for a given print size. I've read that the border should generally be much larger than the frame edge width, and can actually see this in some of my mounted prints.  I also read what you said about larger borders for larger prints. But, the business of what looks good in terms of border size vs. print size seems so arbitrary.  I notice that you like the look of a 6"X9" print surrounded with a 2.5" border, but why does this look good whereas a 4X5 print surrounded by a 2" border would look lousy?

Is there a formula at work here? I'm getting ready to cut my own mats and openings and want to get things right without wasting a ton of expensive material on unforced errors.

soloryb

smertz wrote:

soloryb wrote:

What about a 20" X 28" frame with a 16" X 24" (3:2) print? That's not poster-size if you're using a mat board cut-out and giving you a 2" border.

It is all about framing aesthetics. As with photography, there are some guidelines that tend to be useful. Generally, the larger the print, the larger the border To me, a print of the above size simply looks lousy framed with such a small border. Of course a killer print overcomes lesser issues of presentation for the most part.

To name a few more:

8X10 frame for a 4X6 print giving a 2" border.

To me that looks lousy too.

11X14 frame for a 6X9 print giving a 2.5" border.

That looks OK.

Why don't you like to crop your shots out of a 3:2 constrained space? Shouldn't the image (or part of therein) determine the crop and the crop ratio employed for aesthetic objectives?

Yes we are in agreement. When I shoot, I'm very mindful of the viewfinder frame. I'm not dogmatic about cropping, and will go square when it looks better. When I have shot in 645 or 4x5 formats I like to stay with those aspect ratios as well. I'm more interested in image content than the wrapper.

But my work style has integrated the 3:2 aspect ratio and it has served me well.

It's just my opinion but sticking to a 3:2 ratio can detrimentally constrain photography.

My opinion is that any aspect ratio constrains the frame out of necessity and it has little to do with photography.

SmertZ

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow