Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,734Gear list
Like?
Re: 3:2 picture size
In reply to kkardster, Mar 1, 2013

kkardster wrote:

skyglider wrote:

DSLRs use the 3:2 aspect as native since, as you mentioned, that aspect was was a carry over from film. Small sensor cameras usually use the 4:3 aspect as the native aspect ratio since it yields more mega pixels, (from an image circle formed by the lens), for marketing purposes.

Although I don't disagree that there is a merketing advantage to "bigger is better", I doubt that marketing was the primary reason for the 4:3 sensor format. I think it has more to do with the fact that all televisions were 4:3 for decades and were the standard size when digital cameras "took off". We were all simply used to it and preferred that images viewed filled the TV frame whenever possible. It also reduces the "waste" of image circle that the wider formats impose.

4:3 aspect ratio in cinema started to go out of favor a LONG time ago, for greater appeal against increasing popularity of TV and to differentiate from it. That was the birth of cinema-scope format. The 4:3 aspect itself was due to contemporary design (sprockets and inclusion of audio track).

If maximizing the use of image circle (as opposed to aesthetics) was key, it makes no sense to have anything but 1:1 ratio.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
2:3New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow