Purple flare: Causes and remedies

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,410Gear list
Like?
Re: Purple flare: Causes and remedies
In reply to Sanpaku, Mar 1, 2013

Sanpaku wrote:

Yes, I remember we discussed that possibility. But that (reflections off the sensor, back on the rear element, and then back again) is not what I think is going on. Note that didn't use the 7-14 in this case. Also note that if you inspect the E-M5 sensor with your eyes, the reflections you see are redish and greenish, not purple (no real sign of blue).

It occurred to me that if one used a linear polarizer on the lens, it would automatically reduce reflections (from certain angles) off the sensor. Is that what is in your images?

As already pointed out, the second of the three images is shot with a linear polarizer. And yes, the effect is to reduce reflections later in the optical path although not necessarily those off the sensor (only or primarily).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow