13x19, 17x22 ready fit framing options

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
smertz
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
Re: 13x19, 17x22 ready fit framing options
In reply to soloryb, Mar 1, 2013

soloryb wrote:

What about a 20" X 28" frame with a 16" X 24" (3:2) print? That's not poster-size if you're using a mat board cut-out and giving you a 2" border.

It is all about framing aesthetics. As with photography, there are some guidelines that tend to be useful. Generally, the larger the print, the larger the border  To me, a print of the above size simply looks lousy framed with such a small border. Of course a killer print overcomes lesser issues of presentation for the most part.

To name a few more:

8X10 frame for a 4X6 print giving a 2" border.

To me that looks lousy too.

11X14 frame for a 6X9 print giving a 2.5" border.

That looks OK.

Why don't you like to crop your shots out of a 3:2 constrained space? Shouldn't the image (or part of therein) determine the crop and the crop ratio employed for aesthetic objectives?

Yes we are in agreement. When I shoot, I'm very mindful of the viewfinder frame. I'm not dogmatic about cropping, and will go square when it looks better. When I have shot in 645 or 4x5 formats I like to stay with those aspect ratios as well. I'm more interested in image content than the wrapper.

But my work style has integrated the 3:2 aspect ratio  and it has served me well.

It's just my opinion but sticking to a 3:2 ratio can detrimentally constrain photography.

My opinion is that any aspect ratio constrains the frame out of necessity and it has little to do with photography.

SmertZ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow