Purple flare: Causes and remedies

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,102Gear list
Like?
Re: Purple flare: Causes and remedies
In reply to richarddd, Mar 1, 2013

richarddd wrote:

I'd note that there are two issues, flare and purple. Purple is relatively easy to deal with in post processing (if you have the right tools). Flare is a much more difficult task in post.

Yes, but the purpleness is not always that easy to get rid off, depending on how much of it and where it is. I can't remember seeing any complaints about flare with the 7-14 before that flare started to become purple. The reason, of course, is that before that it was hardly visible since it merely implied a slight loss of contrast, although it was certainly present.

The usual remedy for flare is to avoid bright lights, especially point sources.

Yes, but there are quite a few scenes where this is more or less impossible.

I look forward to seeing your technique.

I hope I won't make you too disappointed. But I should mention in advance that I think my main contribution (if any) will be toward a better understanding of the causes. Not that the solutions are bogus but they do have their downsides.

I notice you didn't include EXIF data. Does that provide a clue to your technique?

They might, yes, at least in one case and perhaps indirectly in the other. So I removed them in order to make the quiz a bit more challenging.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow