Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,701Gear list
Like?
Re: Indeed
In reply to bobn2, Mar 1, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

Our views differ, then.

That's obvious enough.

If Canon is truthfully maintaining that it is not dead, then there is even less chance of a linear replacement for the 7D. A new APS-H camera could only slot under the 5DIII, and could not be a studio/landscape jobby (that slot taken by the 6D) - So we are talking about a sub $2k, action oriented camera.

Can you explain to me your reasoning? Because the 1DmkIV wasn't a $2k camera, and that is exactly what the discussion is about, a 1D APS-H camera.

Canon APS-C. The D300 already comfortably surpassed it in all of those, as will the D7100, since it has the D4 AF.

There's another point where we differ in opinion. I chose the 7D over the D300s in part because it offered me more than the D300s could (the other part was Canon's lens line-up).

'Cut price' is relative. The 7D is cut price compared to the 1D. It does not have the top level AF. It does not have the top level body construction. It does not have the top level controls. It doesn't have those things so that it can cost $1900, not $4000.

OK, What if Canon introduces a EOS-1D A, same as the 1D X, same price but with an APS-C sensor. Would you buy it? If not, how can you say it's not about saving money?

Well that's what we've been talking about. I would very much like a 1DA, although it could never be priced the same as the 1DX due to the smaller sensor. The 1DmkIV was not priced the same as a 1DX either. The question to ask is what I would buy if money were no object, and then I would still prefer an APS-C or APS-H over full frame.

But let's make a friendly bet. You stated there will be no 70D and that the 7D will be an incremental update. I say the 70D will be a 50D-like enthusiast's camera and the 7DmkII will be a significant step up (a $2,000-2,500 body). If one of us proves to have been right during 2013, the other has to refer to him by the honorable title "Rumor King" for the rest of the year. Deal?

ps. Of course the title could also be "Canon prophet" if preferred.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow