Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Beach Bum
Contributing MemberPosts: 816
Like?
A lot of rationalization
In reply to Robin Casady, Mar 1, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Winerbean wrote:

So I will either send the camera in (cannot return is now as more than 30 days have passed) to Nikon or order a kit from Copper Hill or both.

I would recommend getting the Copper Hill kit and cleaning it yourself. Keep an eye on it and see how quickly spots reappear. Avoid sending it in until there is a known fix and your camera continues to produce detritus.

Am I disappointed - yes. I must be old school but I believe when I spend $2K on something it should be damn near perfect or if not there should be a really slick customer service system in place to make it that way.

If you bought a Ferrari for $20,000 would you expect it to be near perfect with great customer support? How about a Hasselblad H5D-40 for $3,000 or a Rolex watch for $39.95? The idea that something is expensive to you does not mean that there is a huge margin in the that price to pay for Rolls Royce quality control and customer service.

Nikon USA customer service leaves a lot to be desired, and there have been an unusual number of problems with the latest models. However, the D600 is not an expensive camera for what it is.

Nowhere in the marketing literature does Nikon say - "And the D600 will amaze you with its self generating crud patterns"!

I expect that at no time did a Nikon engineer or executive order there to be self-generating crud patterns in the D600. Since the original Thailand factory was destroyed in a flood, it is not surprising that there have been problems with the first model to come out of the new factory.

You bought a new model, from a new factory, amid reports that there were problems, and now you are complaining?

I use Apple equipment and their support system and I have never been disappointed by the level of service I get from either their retail or their AppleCare folks. They seem to get that if they charge premium prices they better offer premium support. From what I read here Nikon could use some lessons in Customer Service and support.

I've used Apple computers since the Apple II and started publishing software for the Mac in August of 1984. I have seen both good and bad customer support from Apple. Sometimes they refuse to admit an obvious problem and don't support it. Other times they provide excellent support.

Frankly I am nervous as can be sending my brand new camera into the abyss of Nikon in LA. From what I read here it will take weeks if not longer for anything to happen and after they fiddle with the camera it may or may not be fixed. I take exceptional care of all my equipment and I just wonder how they handle the equipment at their end.

I would not send it in at this time. I would hold off for two things. One, wait until there is a known fix that is routinely being applied. Two, verify the extent of the problem. Check the camera frequently at f/16 (the f/stop Nikon reportedly uses). Clean it until you are somewhere over 3,000 shutter actuations and see if the problem continues, diminishes, or increases. If it diminishes, I would just clean it until myself. If you warranty is a few months from running out and it still produces spots, then I would send it in.

So really this is about my bad decision because so many of you made it abundantly clear there was a challenge with this camera and I got to pay $2K for the privilege of experiencing it for myself. Do I send it in as per the service advisory and be without it for weeks or do I just learn to clean it and get on with it.

I think if you send it in at this time you are likely to just get a cleaning.

And did we just pay $2K to get really whacked for future resale value? Now I understand why Nikon reduced the price during the holidays - it probably equals the depreciation we will see on resale because this camera now has a tarnished or should I say "spotty" reputation.

When I sold my D700 no one seemed to recall the problems with the flash shoe and no one asked me about that. If you sell the D600 in three or four years I expect this issue will be a distant memory. If it turns out the D600 continues to produce spots throughout its life, Nikon will probably have a fix.

No time to whine though - I own the camera so need to suck it up and either suffer intolerable delays and unknown results by sending it in or bite the bullet and clean it myself and hope I can sell it sometime in the future and re-evaluate my loyalty to Nikon - they certainly are not considering their loyalty to me as a consumer of their products D40X, D90, D7000, D600 and a pile of lenses.

News Flash!: No large corporation is loyal to you. They do what they think is best for their bottom line. Apple is not loyal to you. Ford, GM, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Honda, Samsung, AT&T, GE... none of them feel any loyalty to you. If they happen to give you good customer service, it is because they think that they will benefit more than it will cost them.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

The idea that a company can put out a sub-standard product or have poor QC because their margins are really low doesn't make sense to me. I'd much rather they raised the price by a couple hundred and got it right rather than putting out something that the user has to worry about.

Even if the market would dictate that a full frame should cost more, $2000 is still a heck of a lot of money for a camera. That argument would make sense if the camera was maybe $400, but, for $2000, I would have to demand that it's right the first time or that they'd take it back and fix it (the right way).

If everyone's camera were the same way, it might be more forgivable, but the fact that some cameras are affected while others might not be would keep me up nights, because I paid the same amount of money and others got cameras that have no problems. That could certainly affect its future resale value, when potential buyers will prefer unaffected cameras.

Sorry, but, even if you think the camera "should be" $8000 and they're only charging $2000, I would still be peaved about paying $2000 for something that doesn't work perfectly. Of course, the $8000 figure is bologna in 2013, as full frames now go routinely for about $2500, give or take. I'd rather pay the extra few hundred and get something perfect.

p.s. Nikon should take a hit because of their persistent QC issues.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow