Contributing MemberPosts: 602
Like?
Re: You told me so!
In reply to Robin Casady, Mar 1, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Winerbean wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Winerbean wrote:

Am I disappointed - yes. I must be old school but I believe when I spend $2K on something it should be damn near perfect or if not there should be a really slick customer service system in place to make it that way.

If you bought a Ferrari for $20,000 would you expect it to be near perfect with great customer support? How about a Hasselblad H5D-40 for $3,000 or a Rolex watch for $39.95? The idea that something is expensive to you does not mean that there is a huge margin in the that price to pay for Rolls Royce quality control and customer service.

Nikon USA customer service leaves a lot to be desired, and there have been an unusual number of problems with the latest models. However, the D600 is not an expensive camera for what it is.

Thanks for taking time to respond to my emotional tome. I do appreciate your comments. $2K may not be the most expensive camera but $2K is a significant investment for some who don't have deep pockets.

It doesn't matter whether it is expensive to those without deep pockets. What matters is what the item costs to make vs. what the selling price is. For what you get, $2,000 is a bargain basement price. IMO, it is as though you were getting a Porsche Boxter for $15,000.

Hi Robin;

Your analogy falls flat for me.  A $2000 camera has much more profit than a $39 watch.  And Nikon is a premier camera and lens company - it bills itself as such and the market holds it as this.  Expectation of good customer service is not out of line - it does NOT matter to a customer whether Nikon makes money on a D600, it sells it and it should stand behind it and service it.  However if customers still buy a known defective camera and accept Nikon's poor service and evasive answers to the issues their cameras have - well, why buy their product?

To the OP there is a quote in many Baskin Robbins stores that goes something like:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey."

So the question is, "do you feel like Nikon's prey?"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow