Is the EM5’s Miss-Stated ISO concerning to you?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
cptobvious
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
Re: Is the EM5’s Miss-Stated ISO concerning to you?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Mar 1, 2013

Just wanted to add my last $0.02 on the matter:

I don't really care what ISO standards Olympus uses on their cameras.  The onus is really on the reviewers that post ISO comparison shots to control all the exposure variables to give an accurate comparison.

If after controlling all the variables, one camera underexposes relative to another, you cannot say they both perform the same just by looking at uncorrected files.  The only way to 'reveal' a cheating camera is to normalize relative exposures to each other.  In the OM-D's case you have to push exposure by 1/3 to 2/3 a stop in post and the extra noise that follows gives a better picture of its 'true' ISO performance.

Don't get me wrong, the OM-D's sensor is state-of-the-art and is competitive to a Sony Exmor APS-C sensor inch-for-inch.  But it can't overcome the laws of physics in light-gathering ability because of its size.  Most of the reviews seem to forget this and truly think they perform the same.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow