In reply to Barrie Davis, Mar 1, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

krugman wrote:

Piginho wrote:

skyglider wrote:

cocofx wrote:

could someone post some 3:2 pictures on here please. iam trying to see what the difference on screen 3:2 is from 4:3.

i have the sony RX100 on the way.. wanted to see how that size compares to the others.

The max resolution of the RX100 is 5472 x 3648 which is the 4:3 aspect ratio. As I'm sure you already know, the 3:2 aspect ratio is user selectable.

Here's an aspect ratio comparison image:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-pixel.htm

If you shoot in 4:3 and have 6x4 inch (3:2 aspect) prints made at a photo processor, a bit from the top and bottom of the 4:3 image will be cropped. So if you plan on having 6x4 inch prints made, suggest setting your RX100 to the 3:2 aspect.

The 3:2 aspect is also closer to the 16:9 aspect of HDTV sets, than the 4:3 aspect is, which allows better display on HDTV sets.

Sky

7 responses and no one's spotted skyglider's deliberate mistake! The maximum image size of the RX100 is indeed 5472 x 3648, however, this is not 4:3 as stated, but in fact a 3:2 ratio. The RX100 manual makes it very clear that 4:3, 16:9 and 1:1 retain the height of the 3:2 image size, but simply crop the sides.

It's simple maths. 5472 is 1.5 x 3648, the same as 3 is 1.5 x 2.

So, just to be completely clear, the native maximum image size of the RX100 is 5472 x 3648 as stated, but that this is a 3:2 aspect ratio, not 4:3 as stated by skyglider. Many medium format film cameras had a 4:3 aspect ratio and this was seen as desirable by many photographers. The more popular 3:2 aspect ratio is a hangover from 35mm film cameras, that also used this ratio.

I always use my RX100 at the 3:2 maximum size and quality image, as the image can always be cropped if you prefer.

I prefer the 4x3 aspect ratio images.

In the days of 35mm film, the film was 3x2 I believe, but the half frame images were 4x3, which I preferred.

People are mentioning here that the 3x2 aspect ration is native to cameras and that the 4x3 is a cropped version of the 3x2 native aspect ratio, hence cropping the edges of the image, essentially cropping the edges of the sensor.

But there is an exception: the Canon G1X, which I own and am enthusiatic about, has a native aspect ratio of 4x3; that is the shape of the sensor.

Krugman

Do you also prefer to watch TV set in 4:3 aspect ratio?

Are you seriously suggesting that the best format for photography is 16:9?

There's so much photography that is very poorly suited to 16:9 that the idea is laughable.

I must admit that I am getting used to viewing TV in 16:9 ratio. It has taken a while, but it no longer looks quite so much like the top and the bottom are missing!

I think that may be because more care is now being taken in shooting, also in the studio, to fill up the sides with actual image content....

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

It also took my dad a while to accept that word processing on computer over type-writers was here to evolve and stay.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
2:3New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow