13x19, 17x22 ready fit framing options

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115Gear list
Like?
Re: 13x19, 17x22 ready fit framing options
In reply to smertz, Mar 1, 2013

`1smertz wrote:

Yep, I've been framing (formerly in a shop) my own stuff for decades and the discrepancy between the 3:2 aspect ratio and the standard frame sizes can be maddening. I don't like to crop my shots outside a 3:2 constrained space. Seems like the only 3:2 frames are up in the poster sizes for borderless applications. One would think the standard dimensions would change already.

OP what do you want to do?

SmertZ

What about a 20" X 28" frame with a 16" X 24" (3:2) print? That's not poster-size if you're using a mat board cut-out and giving you a 2" border.

To name a few more:

8X10 frame for  a 4X6 print giving a 2" border.

11X14 frame for a 6X9 print giving a 2.5" border.

Why don't you like to crop your shots out of a 3:2 constrained space? Shouldn't the image (or part of therein) determine the crop and the crop ratio employed for aesthetic objectives?

It's just my opinion but sticking to a 3:2 ratio can detrimentally constrain photography.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow