Is the SX50 only good for photographing birds in trees?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Beach Bum
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
Re: But the SX50 deficiencies don't put you off?
In reply to lkk324, Mar 1, 2013

lkk324 wrote:

None of the retail stores around me carry the Panasonic unfortunately. Not sure how widely dispersed the Sony will be. Seems all the major stores want to carry the Nikon and Canon and some Fuji.

I haven't heard many people on here that actually have the camera complain about the focus but then again I have only been looking for comparisons really.

Is the Sony going to have RAW capabilities? I didn't read anything about that. Also, What Fstop is used at the max reach?

I don't have anything to really compare all of this too. My dslr is a Canon so i am use to that mostly so far. My P&S is a Kodak Z950 with 10x optical which has served as a really nice camera all around. Perfect? No....but decent. I just want another one with a larger zoom. It shouldn't be so hard.......

Probably no RAW in the Sony, unfortunately. That's the only flaw I could find, but it's not really a flaw so much as a design and marketing decision. But one would have to question the benefits of RAW in such a small sensor camera anyway.

With the Canon, the aperture range is F/3.4 to F6.5.

For Sony, the aperture range is F/2.8 to F/6.3. As you can see the biggest difference is at the wide end, where the Sony should perform very well in low light (due both to the sensor and the lens), while the Canon clearly won't. But it is also notable that the Sony also outperforms it at tele.

Both the Sony and Canon have a focal length range of 4.3mm to 215mm, so the apertures ranges are directly comparable with no issues.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow