Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,341Gear list
Like?
Re: over exposed?
In reply to JasonED, Mar 1, 2013

JasonED wrote:

Duncan C wrote

Looking back at the images you're right, they were too bright.

I tend to expose for "not quite clipping" in order to maximize the dynamic range of the image, then adjust in post. In this case I didn't bring the brightness down, and I should have.

Hi Duncan. This statement in the context of shooting at high ISO with the D600 does not make any sense.

By shooting at say ISO 3200 you are losing potentially 4 stops of dynamic range over shooting at base ISO. If you want to maximise dynamic range in low light with the D600 you should shoot at a lower ISO and push the images to the brightness required during post processing. This way you can potentially harness 2,3,4 more stops dynamic range in the final image.

The important point is that ISO is not part of exposure. ISO does not affect the amount of light the camera receives - only how bright the resulting image appears by default.

-- hide signature --

The sky is blue an d there is nothing we can do..

The OP's statement makes perfect sense. Your advice is not particular helpful for shooting wildlife.

For wildlife SS speed is paramount, and secondly DOF.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow