Which do you use-Smugmug-Flickr-Google+ Photo or others????

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roberto Angelo
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Exposure has to be earned
In reply to fcheh, Mar 1, 2013

I don't think any of these sites guarantee "exposure." Smugmug, 500px,  Zenfolio are presentation/portfolio sites, as others have said here. You have to drive viewers to your photographs. Unless you are a professional photographer, I'm not sure why you would undertake such an arduous task.

Only Flickr offers the possibility of working within groups of similar interest -- Google+ is aiming to do the same thing but not there yet. Let's say you are interested in photography for different reasons: documenting your hometown, places that you visit, strange lenses that you use, etc., you will find groups dedicated to those interests. And, slowly but steadily, you build a community. A community of interests, which is different than "I like you" because "you liked me" which becomes tiresome and unsatisfying.

Over the years I have built up friendships that are a result of shared interests. Flickr members have come to visit me. We are in daily contact.

I started several sites, mainly with the idea of preserving family photos, perhaps for the fact that I live outside the United States and I wanted my children to know something about my past, but I could never get anyone over to my site, not even my kids! However, those same photos on Flickr have had a completely different fate. Just my family photos have led to licensing them for a film, to Getty images, for books, to a vintage jewelry company, to several magazines to illustrate stories, etc.

Many photos have taken on a life of their own on blogging sites such as Tumblr, Pinterest, etc. Trackable through Flickr statistics, or the really cool Google image search.

Recently Olympus started featuring one of the Flickr groups that I belong to on their websites in Europe and I now find a significant increase in visits to my photographs, photos actually taken by me, as opposed to my family collection.

I get about 350 viewers a day and I am a very amateur photographer.

Posting good photographs on any site, including Flickr, won't bring you exposure, if that's all you do.

You have to decide what you want: what ideas, techniques, areas interest you and pursue them because you enjoy them. Exposure, at least in my opinion, comes along as a natural consequence.

You can find me here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbaresco/

Good luck,

Robert

Roberto Angelo's gear list:Roberto Angelo's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow