MX-1 DxOMark Test Up

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,101Gear list
Like?
The difficulty of being honest to photography, not gadget mindset
In reply to jimr, Mar 1, 2013

I think some people are very unfair.

Look at the numbers: LX-7, XZ-2, G-15, D-Lux 6, etc. 7, 2, 15, 6 … We are talking about years and years of iterations and evolution, of development cost spread in all new bodies, of constant and steady profits, constant recognition and presence.

Yet MX-1, in its first incarnation, and with full R&D cost, is something people are very happy about. And talk about. And it is still very competitive pricewise.

It seems that Pentax has an uncanny ability not only to earn less than others (high initial cost vs very competitive price), but to make a camera a photographer's true friend — not just another gadget ( a gadget filled with features that come slowly and steadily in future releases, when and if people request them). Some people seem to recognise that honesty and it speaks to them. They feel it.

I almost regret I cannot allow myself to get another camera like the MX-1 because I already have a Q. But if I didn't have one, an MX-1 would be mine. I think MX-1 would be a better choice, but I shall live with my decision.

Personally, I'm looking forward to see what Pentax has in line for the larger sensor arena. Not a DSLR, but I'm keen to see whether Pentax Ricoh will answer Fuji X100s, and the Leica X2 — a fixed lens, fixed focal length, large sensor camera.

Maybe that will be next GRD 5?

That would be the camera I'm seriously interested in, because it's not a DSLR, not a compact zoom — the scope and use and philosophy of shooting such a camera are quite different, and cannot be replicated easily.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow