D2x died, got a D600. Should I repair the D2x?

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tsan
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
D2x died, got a D600. Should I repair the D2x?
Mar 1, 2013

While shooting at my studio, my D2x failed. It stopped focusing (hunts) and the viewfinder went gray. I don't think it's the shutter, since I can still fire manually and the image preview looks normal, if only I can get a good focus manually. This is after I sent the D2x to fix a focusing issue and the 90 day warranty just passed a month ago. I think I know where it's broken. I notice the spring lever mechanism on the left inside of the lens mount is limp, where it should spring back when I play with it. Luckily I have a older camera, D1x as a backup. Usable for what I was shooting....model tests for web and 9x12 prints.

Anyways, the next day I ordered a refurbished D600 as I always wanted to get in FX. If my D2x didn't die, I would've waited as long as I could.  So far I like it, and was surprised it only had 6 actuations for a refurbished model. I know about the issues and so far so good, plus I'm very familiar with sensor cleaning. I have the Pec Pads, a swab, and Eclispe fluid.

Mu question is should I repair the D2x or leave it as a part of my museum collection? It has 80,000 actuations. It was serviced 4-5 months ago. I figure it can cost $400, which was what I paid for service B, which fixed focus and replace a few things. Or do I use that repair money and put it towards another camera, like 7100, another D600, or another upcoming camera? But it was cost more out of pocket, when I know the D2x will serve me for my in studio need, if repaired.

My dilemma is do I try to get the most out of my D2x, a dinosaur, or move on towards the future and don't look back.

Tsan

Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow