Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,069Gear list
Like?
Re: A tip about the corners: Nikon 17-35mm f2.8
In reply to Robin Casady, Mar 1, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

RBFresno wrote:

Never had the 17-35, but if you are shooting in low light, I recall reading that it wasn't particularly sharp at f/2.8, especially in the corners...

When shooting with the 17-35 on a D800E I discovered that the corner softness is due to extreme curvature of the field of focus. You can actually focus for the corners. So, when shooting static subjects with a tripod you can focus stack for the corners.

Focused for the bottom edge center

Focused for the corner (viewing lower left corner of image)

Full frame for reference

Even if there is some movement in the subject, the corners can often be masked in with layers in CS6.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

HI!

Good point about the field curvature.

However your images were taken at f/5.6 where the 17-35 is know to sharpen up.

But, according to Rorslett and others, the corners are relatively soft "across the frame: at f/2.8. However, I don't know if he took field curvature into account. He's pretty meticulous and probably did...

Interestingly, he noted that "the curvature of field for the 17-35 was very low"

"Image contrast and sharpness improve rapidly upon stopping down, and within the peak range of f/5.6-f/11 the image results are simply stunning"

Rorslett 17-35 comments

He also specifies that the corners were soft at 17mm f/2.8. Your example is at 28mm, right near the 17-35's sweet spot.

Rorslett; Detailed and updated 17-35 review.

It's worth noting that his testing was done with film and  DSLR's of a decade ago...No D800 torture test!

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow