Love the EA2 but now find 2.8 is not enough?

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,103Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the EA2 but now find 2.8 is not enough?
In reply to dpyy, Mar 1, 2013

dpyy wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

dpyy wrote:

Got the EA2 and played around with it for a week. First used my SAL2470 but didn't like the weight/size so I went out and bought the SAL1650 and it's just right! I can hold the camera by the grip only and only support the lens when I have to zoom. The focus speed is amazing. However as I like to shoot indoor (parties at home etc) I find that the f/2.8 is not sufficient? I'm all the way up to iso 3200 and even then sometimes it's half a stop or so below meter.

Is this typical? Kind of a shame that even a "bright" 2.8 lens is not sufficient for indoor shooting. I'm not shooting in the dark either, it's a typical house lighting at night. Do I need to go get a SAL prime now?

Indoors (average living room conditions), sometimes even f/1.7 is insufficient, unfortunately. Here's Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 Planar wide open on NEX-3 in living room conditions:

ISO 1600, f/1.7, 1/20s

I'd recommend using bounce flash when lighting is really demanding. Here's the 16-50/2.8 SSM used as such (Sony HVL-F20AM):

I have the F43AM will it be too strong do you think? Do you typically bounce off the ceiling? Do you have exif for that second pic? How low ISO were you able to bring it down to?

F43 will be fine.

Exif for #2: 50mm, f/8, 1/80s, ISO 400 (Sony A55 was the camera here)

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow