Started Mar 1, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JLTaylor
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
Like?
IR conversion and the color filter array
Mar 1, 2013

I assume  how well the camera works for BW and false color IR would depend on how the existing Bayer color filter array passes IR.  For example if only the red filter in the CFA passed IR, or if all RGB had the same response in the IR band it would be difficult to process for false color.

Is there any information about how the CFA's in different cameras pass IR? This could determine which is the best IR filter, or which are the best cameras for IR photography.

I have a E-P2 in for conversion, and am having second thoughts about the filter selection.  I did a quick test with a EM-5 and a R72 filter and it was dominated by the red channel.  A old Canon G1 was more balanced.  I assume the different CFA's are the reason.

In false color, why is the sky red and the foliage white?  I assume the sky has a strong IR wavelength that the red filters in the CFA pass, and the foliage is broadband and typically the IR response of the RGB are somewhat selective in the IR band.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
ANSWER:
Olympus PEN E-P2 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow