jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,980Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah, don't think so...
In reply to Jerry-astro, Mar 1, 2013

Jerry-astro wrote:

x-vision wrote:

kenwnyc wrote:

The 70D will be an incremental update to the 60D, same sensor. The 7DII will have a new crop sensor and some other stuff updated. The 80D will have the new sensor from the 7DII. This will force those wanting the new sensor technology to buy the more expensive 7DII, even though they may not care for the high speed attributes of the 7D line.

I hope that I am wrong and they put a new sensor in the 70D....

My thoughts exactly.

Well, at the expense of dredging up history, you were dead wrong about APS-H going broader and I think you're equally wrong about this. Canon has a long history, since they started their DSLR line with the D30, of introducing new sensor technology in lower end models before updating their higher end models -- effectively being "upside down" in terms of sensor technology between product lines for a period of time. Best examples of this would be in the Rebel line, where they often introduced a new sensor there prior to its showing up in the xxD series. I think the chances of keeping over a 3+ year old sensor in the next xxD camera are basically slim to none. Even if it means that the 7D is outclassed by the 70D in some ways for a little while, it seems almost ridiculous to think that they'd try to extend the 18MP technology yet another generation in either of their prosumer/semi-pro crop lines. They may not up the MP count (though I'm betting they will), but my guess is that it will have significant improvements in other areas directly pertaining to IQ (noise, DR, etc.). Some derivative of that sensor will likely show up in the 7DMk2, but with a host of other improvements in AF, etc. which will keep it clearly positioned as Canon's premium crop camera.

It's all speculation now... let's compare notes once Canon lifts the curtain on the 70D.

Jerry, my gut tells me you are very close to correct. 

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow