Looking to go Long (nikon 80-400, sigma 100-300, tamron 70-300)

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Skroob
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Looking to go Long (nikon 80-400, sigma 100-300, tamron 70-300)
Feb 28, 2013

Been going over in my head a while now about the options that i have for a "financially accessible" method of going for a semi-pro-ish tele-zoom.

Waiting for years not for Nikon to update the 80-400VR, but who knows when that will happen. So either i pull the trigger now, or look for something else.

One that caught my eye is the Sigma 100-300 f4. From looking at reviews, it gets fairly solid rating for its quality. Plus, the constant f4 is nice, and it matches well with my 24-120 Nikon f4. The trade off is that its shorter than the nikon, but a 1.4x converter fixes that nicely. The one thing that is making me hesitate right now is the lack of VR/OS on the Sigma. Prices are pretty good on the second-hand market for this lens.

So i guess the question becomes, is shooting @ around 300mm or so going to be that much harder to get keepers without the VR/OS? Yeah, i can gain a stop back against the nikon by shooting the sigma at f4, but its not the 2-3 stops gain that VR gives you.

Also, if it comes down to it, im fairly open to the idea of the well regarded Tamron 70-300 VC. I get back to 300mm and get VR/OS/VC, but im worried it will be at the tradeoff in quality being a consumer level lens.

I shoot with a D300, and at some point down the road i will want to go to FX.

Thanks.

Skroob's gear list:Skroob's gear list
Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow