Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Royce - Into the Night Photography
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Luv my Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II lens EXCEPT for starscapes
Feb 28, 2013

I've had my Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II lens now for 18 months. Super lens for landscapes and architectural work with my full-frame 5D Mark III. Also works great on my 7D for sports, and wedding wedding candids (with an APS-C crop). I love shooting wide open and getting those dreamy-soft backgrounds.

HOWEVER, the main reason I bought this lens was to shoot Milky Way starscapes, using it wide open at f/1.4 so I could lower my ISO's (from 6400 down to 1600) and reduce noise. What a disappointment! I checked all the reviews before buying this lens, but none of them mentioned its severe coma aberration when shooting wide open

Canon 24mm @ f/1.4: enlarged area near the edge shows stars with severe coma distortion.

Most of the coma goes away by the time I stop down to f/2.8...

...however, I paid dearly for an f/1.4 lens, NOT an f/2.8 !!

I've since discovered several other prime lenses that have much better coma correction, and at 1/3 the price, but there is another trade-off (however, it is one I can live with). Read my blog review for more details.

-- hide signature --

Royce Bair
Into-the-Night Photography
(featured photographers, tips, tutorials, and reviews)
http://intothenightphoto.blogspot.com/

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow