5D MARKIII AND SIGMA 85 1.4

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
kyjy
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
Re: 5D MARKIII AND SIGMA 85 1.4
In reply to bhollis, Feb 28, 2013

bhollis wrote:

Don't have any other Sigmas, but focusing accuracy with my 35L has also gone up on the 5D3. This isn't to say that focusing accuracy with either lens was "bad" on my 7D--I'd say it hit focus with both lenses wide open at f/1.4 around 60% of the time. With the 5D3 it's up to 80% to 90%.

60% - Cripes! Ok, so it's not just me

I did find the focus to be better on my 24-105L (although far from perfect) and mostly spot on with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 on the 7D.  My 200mm f/2.8 L II is almost consistently out - much further than I can fix with MFA.  Camera has been back to Canon twice and both times they said they re-calibrated it and it is "within specification."

Of these lenses, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 was probably the worst on my 50D, with the 50mm f/1.8 not far behind - I assume because the narrow DOF means margin for error is so much bigger.  But even then, I had 90%+ accuracy, and with the rest of my lenses *never* had out of focus shots unless *I* clearly messed up.

Given that I bought the 7D for the more sophisticated focus system, it's been a real disappointment!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow