* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 253 February/27/2013 *

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Re: Exploring a Scene
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Feb 28, 2013

Hi Roel,

I guess there are a number of ways we could interpret this set of images.

1. Per your suggestion as a series that resulted from exploring the scene
  2. As individual shots (or a collection of individual shots)
  3. As a photo essay, telling a story photographically
  4. Maybe others, as well

OK, I'll be bending the rules again this week (bending up to the point of breaking, actually), by not showing one image but a small series, that resulted from exploring a scene as it presented itself.

This is an interesting idea. How do we approach a subject such as this? What do we see that is photographically interesting and eventually worthy of snapping the shutter? I've heard it said that one should never take "just one" shot, but should come away with at least 5 or 6 from a scene - close-ups, overall scenes, dramatic, graphic, different points of view, etc.

The idea to present this series in this weekly thread, resulted from a previous thread in which I showed (and some people discussed) images in which several statues in a museum were brought together visually with a narrative purpose.

Now you're getting more into the area of photo essay. In that case, I find the story lacking. What exactly is the narrrative? You seem to cross back and forth between a "collection of statues" and something about what the statues appear to be doing.

As individual shots, I can find no fault. They are up to your usual high standards, although the one-armed soldier is a bit disturbing. But when presented together like this, they seem to ask more questions than they answer.

And maybe that was your intent, from the beginning.

-- hide signature --

-Mike
It's much easier to criticize than to create
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ZinNew
MikeNew
RoelNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow