Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 17,291Gear list
Like?
New possibilities with SPP 5.5 and high ISO images
Feb 28, 2013

In the generally unremarked thread VictorGV started below (Curiosity DPReview shot redone), a discovery was made - SPP seems to do a significantly better job at Merrill high ISO color conversions, not just in Monochrome.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50944401

Mostly the improvement is in a significantly better reduction in color banding.

So I took a few example photos to illustrate. It turns out 3200 is now not bad, and ISO 6400 is usable with some editing.  Both of these were processed with luminance NR totally off, and chroma NR at mid point.

First off, an ISO 3200 shot with some color (ambient daylight from windows) - processed in Vivid to regain saturation reduced at higher ISO:

Random Colorful Objects

All I've edited on that is slightly reducing some color banding in the background of the image on the wood grain.  The rest of it is pretty much as is.

Next we have an ISO 6400 taken at night with halogen lighting:

Captain Jack

This has great detail, and pretty good color.  I tried Vivid here but it was too much for this photo, the real colors are also kind of muted anyway.  The fur had some pretty significant color blotching which I edited down by desaturating or matching color.

Lastly another B&W image from Monochrome, processed more brightly because I wanted to reveal the shadows a bit more with color not an issue (probably a bit too hot in retrospect):

Captain Jack in Black

At this point I feel like the ISO 3200 images approach RX1 quality in the bright areas of the image, and at ISO 6400 the Merrill cameras are as good in B&W as the RX1 - I base that on this article:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/01/20/a-few-high-iso-ooc-jpeg-snaps-with-the-sony-rx1/

The important thing to consider with ISO 3200 and up is that deeply shadowed areas will be the things that show color issues.  Shoot to over expose if possible and think about the shot with deeper shadows as that will help correct the issue.  Also try vivid color mode if the shot seems overly de-saturated.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow