Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,119Gear list
Like?
Personal experience at show jumping
In reply to pDidd, Feb 28, 2013

pDidd wrote:

Hi All,

I have been looking at purchasing a camera system for a couple of months now and have been leaning towards mft then back to dslr then back again. I really weant the compact size of a mft camera and lenses but I'm not sure how well an evf camera will deal with moving subjects and burst mode. I have had a Panasonic G3 and a Canon 400d on loan for a week end and found it quite hard to shoot burst mode for a moving subject (horse) with the evf, its not that the horse was not in the frame its just the "slide show effect" for tracking didnt feel right.

I shot show jumping with both DSLR (Canon 5D) and micro 4/3, and even a Minolta Dimage 7 (a 2001 prosumer camera). The key to to photographing horses is to count the hoof beats. Best if you say it out (quietly), although for the video you may have to keep quiet. I don't know if you ride - it's two counts for trot, four for canter. This gives you not only a very good tracking ability, but also helps to catch better poses over the jump.

With this technique I did not feel that the EVF gave me worse visibility than OVF. DSLR has mirror blackout as well. As long as your ยต4/3 camera is set to not display the review, it's practically the same amount of blackout. Here are some shots I took with a G1.

I think for your purposes you need to start with the lenses, and then buy the camera that can offer them. For horse shows a 70-210 equiv f/2.8 makes a big difference. You want the shutter speeds to be at least 1/250, and preferably 1/400-1/500 for the rider's face to stay sharp (it often jerks around more than the horse's head). It's easy outdoors on a sunny day, but in the covered arenas and early mornings in the shadow it's harder to achieve. If you want to cover less than bright light, you really want the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 lens, which is expensive. Same goes for safaris. You want to price out very long zooms. The Panasonic 100-300 is a lot lighter than comparable lenses for DSLRs, but it is also getting softer beyond 200mm.

So look at the lenses, decide what you can get at your price point, weight, size, and quality criteria, and this will tell you what camera to get.  If you learn good technique then EVF is not going to prevent you from getting great shots.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow