Fuji X-20 compared to Nikon D50

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Peiasdf
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Re: Fuji X-20 compared to Nikon D50
In reply to Canbrit, Feb 28, 2013

Canbrit wrote:

I have just sold my Nikon D50 with the intention of buying a capable smaller replacement.

I would like to know how the Fuji X-20 would compare to the Nikon D50 especially in low light

situations. I was quite happy with the Nikon D50 it was just too big, so if the Fuji X-20 compares

favourably to my old Nikon D50 that would probably be the clincher for me. Low light would be

shooting musicians in club/ pub situations not sporty stuff. I know that the Fuji sensor is smaller

than the Nikon D50 but does the Fuji X 20 come near to or surpass it's output.

Thanks

The IQ will be close or better with the X-20. D50's sensor area is 369.72mm^2, X-20 is 58.08mm^2. D50’s sensor is 6.36 times bigger than X-20’s. However, if you only ever use the f/3.5~5.6 kit lens, X-20’s lens is 1 & 2/3 to 2 stops faster effectively making the light capturing ratio to 1.59 times in favorite of D50. Taking into account X-20’s sensor is BSI (40% bigger capture area) and 7 years newer, it should have no problem matching D50.

That said, if I was in your situation and need something to take photos in a night club (have done so in clubs lit by candle lights), I would get a 2nd hand Sony A37 for $370 and Sigma 30mm f/1.4. This combo will easily have 3 stops noise advantage over X-20.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow