13x19, 17x22 ready fit framing options

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
smertz
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
Re: 13x19, 17x22 ready fit framing options
In reply to designdog, Feb 28, 2013

Hmmm, I think you are missing something.

Print an 12x18-in image on a 13x19-in sheet. Use an 18x24-in mat, and purchase a frame with the same outer dimensions.

The only part you are missing is the need for some kind of a backing board (foam core or mat board works fine) that holds the print flat. The mat is hinged to the backing board at the top with tape.  The print is often hinged  to the backing board after you get it correctly squared to the mat opening (that is an aesthetic call), but for efficiency in changing prints you may be able to get by with using mylar corner holders.

And then glass, though acrylic would be less hassle and probably meet your limited requirements.

SmertZ

designdog wrote:

OP here. I am either missing something, or not explaining myself very well.

Here is what I want to do:

• Print an image on a sheet of paper that is either 13x19 or 17x22.
  • Place that image in a frame that holds a piece of paper in that exact size.
  • Print the image in a smaller size on that paper, coincident with a mat which is the same overall size of the paper and frame.
  • Swap the images out on a seasonal/personal basis.

Here is what I don't want to do:

• Tape a sheet of paper to the back of a mat.
  • Cut a mat.
  • Cut the printed paper.

While all of this seems pretty rudimentary, I have never framed my photography, and I want to take some baby steps first. Plus this is going on wall in our house, in full view of my Captain and best critic...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow