Switch or wait

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,492Gear list
Like?
Re: No need to wait.
In reply to HowardinOregon, Feb 28, 2013

HowardinOregon wrote:

I’m considering a switch from Canon 60d with a collection of expensive lenses, flashes and other appurtenances to a gh3 with 3 lenses covering 12-200mm focal length (35mm) metz flash and a few other add-ons.

My decision process is as follows:

Canon

Better still IQ (with appropriate lenses)and acceptable but arduous video ability.

Everything compatible with Adobe CS5 suite

System familiarity.

Too damn heavy relative to alternatives.(Though I am aware that similar abilities 20 years ago and prior required 3 times as much gear)

GH3

Much more portable - in fact, with lenses about ½ weight and space.

More versatile video capability especially focus, DoF confirmation and frame rates, etc.

Usable EVF. Can see histogram as parameters are changed in real time.

Steeper learning curve (similar to any new system)

EVF while good still has a way to go to approach OVF experience.

Can’t start/stop video using wifi yet. Seems to me one of the most import features for a multi camera video shoot.

Smaller sensor that translates to inferior IQ.

What’s important to me.

Portability, after all what good is a worthwhile scene if you have to lug gear and take time.

But… not at the expense of great: in focus, framed, white balanced and metered shot(s)printable at large sizes or viewed on large screens.

Ability to RF control flash/video light and accessories.

Ability to control every camera function from Ipod/android or other device.

No, I don’t expect the world with a white wash fence around it, and will be willing to pay a bit more for these features.

Suggestions?

No need to wait, the Panasonic Lumix GH3 is a superb camera, and you will be surprised positively with the image quality. One thing that many don't know is besides the HDR mode, the GH3 can stack RAW files in camera. And it has so many good features that I think I don't need to point them here.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow