Anyone have the Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar yet?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning detail
In reply to Johan1967, Feb 28, 2013

Johan1967 wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

"Let’s get one thing over and done: the Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO-Sonnar is the best performing lens so far in the entire Zeiss ZF.2 / ZE lineup. Its performance bears little criticism. Actually, I might be stymied in that regard.Oh well.

Well, OK, here goes: it could have been ƒ/1.4 and it could have had MTF of 85% at 40 lp/mm at ƒ/2 in a flat line to the extreme corners and focused to 1:1 (and thus have cost $12K and weighed 5 pounds). I’m 'good' now." - Lloyd Chambers

Patience is not a virtue I have in abundance

I am getting a little tired of Lloyd Chambers (I have a subscription that I probably will not continue). I see a repeating pattern in his publications. First he shouts with every new lens how fantastic it is. Based on this people are going to buy. And then after some time (about a year or so) he will publish all kind of tests that show that it is not really that fantastic. For example his publications about the Zeiss 35/1.4. At first he wrote it was corrected for CA very well, and now he concludes in a comparison with the Sigma 35/1.4 that this is not really true.

I now suspect a commercial interest in his publications. And that is not good for an independent reviewer. I am not sure anymore how to value his reviews.

BTW I really like the results so far with the ZF 135/2.

We never really know what the future holds, maybe one day samyang will make a $300 lens that makes the sigma look bad but it will not change how good of a lens it is..just the perception. Also, there was no 36Mp sensors when the 1,4/35 came out.

-- hide signature --
 Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow