Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
lkk324
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50...not "the" camera?
In reply to VisionLight, Feb 28, 2013

VisionLight wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

I am reading your reviews right now!!! I have a question. Is there a reason you didn't opt for the fz200? was it the zoom or since you are use to Canons. I have the canon dslr and want a superzoom for ease of use and trying to figure out which to get cuz I would still like to be able to get those action shots if needed. I see I wont have trouble at night so thats a bonus!

The fz200 is a fine camera and there have been many times that I could have used its f2.8 lens. The SX50 however has that really big zoom that I bought it for and an IS that always amazes me when combined with good telephoto handling technique. In a recent thread, I asked if anybody would be interested in a slightly larger version of the SX_0 with a faster although slightly shorter (maybe 1000mm) lens, but everyone basically favored the status quo. Since I am used to carrying a dSLR with a 100-400L zoom, I wouldn't mind a larger, faster one piece SX_0 kit. In another thread I stated that I would probably be happy doing a direct comparison of the SX50 and fz200, if Panasonic wanted to send me one. That would be an interesting task but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a fz200.

So for me, the SX50 won out, also in part that even though I own cameras and lenses by three manufacturers, I find the Canon ergonomics and way of doing things the most to my liking.

Vision

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I would TOTALLY go for a little larger sx... with a bit bigger sensor to have a smaller aperture. I just wanted an all in one ya know and I cant afford to buy all the huge lenses at this point in life for my dslr. I would be quite happy with a 1000mm reach. That is where I am having the difficulty. I don't think I necessarily need the 1200 on the canon (although ya never know) but to drop to 600 on the Panasonic is a lot. But then to have a more multi purpose camera that can get the better action shots (better not dslr type lol) wouldn't I be better served with the lower constant aperture? I mean honestly I think I really only need the lower aperture for some of the sports shots possible up to 300 mm at best...not at full zoom. Where does the canons aperture change from the 3. up? At what distance?

I have to tell you.........the little kodak z950 I have had prior to the dslr has the same aperture size as the canon on the low end. It use to catch action shots pretty darn well. Now I couldn't blow them up or anything but for a normal size pic they were pretty good. I should be able to expect the same out of the sx50 right?

I keep heading back to the canon cuz that is what I have been working on learning the past 21/2 months. I just don't want to not be able to get a fun shot outside with the kids and dog if I have that camera instead of the dslr (now they don't always come out either with the dslr haha)

I have read somewhere ( i have no idea where now since I have been researching everything I can find on sites about these 2 cameras) that Panasonic isn't supported by elements or something like that? Is this true?

I am sure everyone is tired of me asking questions...I know Im tired of not making a decision. I just dont want to blow $400 for something and not like it. If I could go out and buy a panasonic as easily as the canons I would go get both and see which I liked.

Any fabulous tips to help me with this before I go insane? Have you taken any more action shots with it to see how it does?

Also........I would LOVe to see a real head to head with these two cameras. A real side by side comparison in the pics SOOC.

Thanks Vision!

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow