Senior MemberPosts: 3,771
Like?
Re: Fuji X-20 compared to Nikon D50
In reply to mr moonlight, Feb 28, 2013

mr moonlight wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Canbrit wrote:

I know that the Fuji sensor is smaller

than the Nikon D50 but does the Fuji X 20 come near to or surpass it's output.

Not. Even. Close.

I'm not so sure about that.

Maybe, it's only an ancient D50.

I agree with Mr Sincere. The X-trans sensor has really shown some major advancements in how well an APS-C sensor can compete with recent model FF sensors in low light. My Xpro1 puts my X100 to shame at 6400. It's entirely possible that the X-20's new X-trans sensor could out perform the 7 or 8 year old D50 in every area except for thin DOF.

While the X10's LCD shows a brighter view of subjects in very dim light than the D50, the D50 focuses quickly and reliably where the X10 misfocuses on more than half of the tries. The X20 may do better than the X10 and anyway, the D50 is too old and doesn't offer enough to make it worth using instead of the much lighter X20. But if a more recent DSLR performs sufficiently better, that might tip the scales in its favor.

One thing for sure, the X-20 can shoot all the way up to ISO12800 at twice the resolution of the D50 that maxes out at ISO1600. So there's definitely an advantage there.

Twice the resolution? At low ISO levels, sure. But if the X20 is anything like the X10, there's no resolution left at ISO 12,800 for it to come remotely close to any DSLR that can also shoot at ISO 12,800. Fuji should be ashamed for implementing ISO 12,800, it's that bad.

I don't know if the X-20 will surpass the D50 (up to ISO 1600), but I wouldn't be surprised if it's very close.

For shooting in dim clubs you might want something a little better than ISO 1600 if you want to use reasonably fast shutter speeds. How about the ISO 12,800 that you mentioned. If you consider the D3100, D3200 and D5100, used or refurbished one and two lens kits are available for about the price of the X20. Some cheaper, some a little more expensive, but not tremendously so. Here's how the X10 compares with these three DSLRs. It looks like three possibles and one no-show. Fuji really has its work cut out for it if it wants the X20 to do better than hopeless at ISO 12,800.

The D3100 looks a little better than the D3200. Maybe the D3200 had its NR boosted a little too high. B&H has a D3100 in good condition with a kit lens $380 and a refurbished two lens kit (18-55mm and 55-200mm) for $490, both less expensive than the X20. A refurbished D3200 with the same two lenses is $647, only slightly higher than the cost of the X20, and $490 with just the 18-55mm VR lens. I don't understand why the price of the D3100 and D3200 refurbished two lens kits is the same, but either way they're good buys and well worth the extra size and weight over the X20. They're about the same size and weigh slightly less than the D50, from what I recall.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow