D800 or D4 : Family Vacation

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
D800, 24-70, polarizer
In reply to Arvind Balaraman, Feb 28, 2013

I have taken a small body DSLR everywhere for many years.  Various Canon's, D700 and now D800.  Maybe not for everyone, but for me I have become very used to this combination hanging off my shoulder and don't notice the weight.  No other lenses, backpack, etc (leave that in the hotel room).

Using a D800 with a 24-70 can be as easy as using an advanced P&S, with the added benefit of a fast AF and low natural light capability no P&S short of the new Sony RX1 can match.  Add a polarizer, and you can get anything, from outdoors in bright light, to an indoor no flash allowed museum.

I have tried too many P&S's to count, including the NEX 6 and Oly mirrorless. No matter how good these are, and these are great little cameras, I have always found myself regretting at some point leaving my DSLR home.

That said, you do need to be aware of the people around you in various places. Thieves target DSLR's, and can get the lens off, or the whole camera by slashing the strap, in a flash.  I have had a few occasions where I have been lucky to not have something happen.  All of those were with my 1D MkIII.  A small body DSLR hanging off the shoulder can be carried somewhat discretely.

Of course your mileage may vary...

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D800New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow