Mini -> external fusion -> Cinema display?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cogset
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174Gear list
Like?
Mini -> external fusion -> Cinema display?
Feb 28, 2013

Question: I'm considering a configuration with a Mac Mini that uses my 5 year old 30" Cinema display and I'm unsure whether it will work or not.

Given:

• Mac Mini has a single Thunderbolt port which can be used with the "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter" to connect to a Cinema Display.
  • I know I can connect the Thunderbolt port to an external Lacie 2big Thunderbolt series external drive (e.g 4/6/8 TB). 

The question is, can I  use the second Thunderbolt port on the Lacie with a "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter" from the Lacie to the Cinema Display?

For example:

Mini ---Thunderbolt cable-->Lacie Drive ---Mini Dual Link DVI adapter---> Cinema display

If I  use the "Mini Displayport to Dual-Link DVI adapter" from the mini directly to the Cinema display, I've used up my only thunderbolt port on the Mini and cannot use an external Thunderbolt drive. (yes I know USB 3.0 external drive is an option)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Cogset's gear list:Cogset's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow