Help with Zeiss 24mm!

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nush
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Thanks
In reply to Mel Snyder, Feb 28, 2013

Hi, and thanks for taking time out to reply.

As mentioned before, I'm new to the NEX system (after upgrading from an old P&S). I opted for the original 18200 to serve as a general travel lens for situations where I would prefer not to constantly switch lenses. That being said, it's still the lens I use more in comparison to the 1650 kit lens.

I was considering the 24mm Zeiss in order to get better quality pictures, sharpness and perhaps better background defocus as well. I guess for me it would be worth it if the pictures are noticeably better.

I'm a PhD student, so I don't have tons of extra cash but I wanted to invest in a good prime lens. I found some old Canon lenses that belonged to my grandfather (FL 200mm f4.5 and a FL 58mm f1.2 - both on this website if you scroll down http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fllenses/)

I purchased the adapter so they work on the NEX (but I'm abroad right now, so don't have these on me) and I guess it would take a bit of work figuring out how to use the manual lenses properly?

While I understand that a larger aperture such as the 1.8 on the 24mm Zeiss is optimal for low light conditions (I don't shoot a lot in low light at the moment) - is it really worth the $950 that I'll spend on a new prime?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow