Any feedback on online course in photography?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Questions thread
mariadc
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: Any feedback on online course in photography?
In reply to gordonisbell, Feb 28, 2013

gordonisbell wrote:

Lynda.com currently offers 214 courses that cover both photography and post processing . It's a monthly subscription ($25/mo) and can cancel anytime. I've completed four classes and it has helped a lot . Ben Long is one best instructors around in my opinion. I think you can watch a few samples before you commit. Good luck!

Thank you soooo much.  Based on your comment, I took Ben Long's course "Foundations of Photography: Exposure".  He is very good and the course covers quite a lot of material.  I've just started his course on lenses.

This is important to note because I had just forked out $198 a few weeks ago to take a course at BetterPhoto.com.  It was terrible.  The instructor gave very little feedback, and it wasn't given until halfway through the following assignment.  I felt that it was really nothing more than reading an introductory book.  I know it must vary from instructor to instructor because I had read rave reviews. I guess I got a bad instructor.  Yet when I e-mailed the owner to ask for a refund earlier on (one day after the deadline), I never got a response - not even a reply that addressed my concerns.  I asked one question twice and it never got answered:  how to correctly set the custom white balance, which was central to one of the lessons.  It was never answered.

At Lynda.com, I finished Ben Long's course in a couple of days - which is well within the 7-day free trial period.  I will keep my subscription of $25/month for another month or two, as it really is a bargain.  That would be about $50 or so for several courses - as many as I can get through in that time period.  Top notch instruction that you can sample for free, even before signing up for the free trial.

I know this is a long response, but I feel that it's important for folks to hear others' experiences, especially in this economy when putting your hard-earned dollars into a course should really be for something worthwhile.

So thanks again for the recommendation!

mariadc's gear list:mariadc's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow