Started Feb 26, 2013 | Questions thread
Carey Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Re: About Lightroom and metadata
In reply to AMomcil, Feb 28, 2013

AMomcil wrote:

Thanks Carey,

Yes, it is partially about the price, but not only that.

Lightroom seams to be very good at a lot of things, but I feel there are better (or lighter) tools for some other tasks - regarding image viewing, tagging and searching. That is why I would like to find a solution that would not lock me to any particular application - Lightroom or else.

I hope that metadata (tags, etc.) could be kept both inside files (or sidecars for RAW) and also copied to Lightroom database. In that case I could have the best of both worlds - to have a quick indexing within Lightroom, but also possibility to use other tools whenever I want to.

Could Lightroom be configured to maintain metadata simultaneously both in files (IPTC/XMP) AND in own database?

-- hide signature --

Aleksandar Momcilovic

I don't use it. I thought it was there but couldn't remember how to set it up. I found this though...

Specify where to write metadata changes

If you don’t write adjustments and settings metadata to XMP automatically, you can select a file and choose Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

1. Choose Edit > Catalog Settings (Windows) or Lightroom > Catalog Settings (Mac OS).
  2. Click the Metadata tab, and then do either of the following:
    • To write adjustments and settings metadata to XMP, select Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

• To write adjustments and settings metadata only to the catalog, deselect Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Lightroom automatically writes adjustments and settings metadata to the catalog. You can also instruct Lightroom to write the changes to XMP. In order for changes made in Lightroom to be recognized by other applications, metadata must be written to XMP.

Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow